Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Do ALTS have more fun?




Consider this, thinking aloud...

I'm a moody-sort sometimes. It runs deep in my family.

Second Life is a fun and enjoyable pastime... sharing fun, exciting, and at times sexy activities with good friends. But what do you do when your alt has more fun than your main account?

The avatar Zoe Connolly has become an administrator for groups, offgrid social media accounts, and a manager of land and Linden Dollars. Zoe has become The Banker. Ugh!

This was not supposed to happen. This is what alts are for, yes? Zoe should be the exciting girl, the adventurous girl. The hawt Girl with Guns who does amazing things. She flies across sims to defeat evil, and is soon back home to kiss her favorite avatar of the month.

I created an alt to do the heavy lifting. Immediately, I ran into the irresistible urge to make her...well...fabulous! In a short time, I logged into my alt more often. I savored the anonymity that an alt allows, but then a funny thing happens... Your alt becomes popular too, with her own experiences, friends, and loves. You find logging into your main account an absolute chore, and you LOVE being your alt. You want to be your alt like the early days when you wanted to be your first avatar morning, noon, and night. Savoring those same feelings you had when you were happy in your main account. It's almost like falling in love. In a way, you ARE in love.

Yes, it's true. In this strange world of Virtual Identity, I've found myself in love with my avatar creations.

But what of Zoe? I still love her. She's a part of me. She IS me! I want to be happy being Zoe, again.

RL lives evolve in ways never expected. SL lives are more planned but on occasion go in unexpected directions. Zoe will continue her journey in the metaverse and prosper. She will love and be loved. But the direction she takes will change soon. It's a normal part of life in both Universes.

I'll soon decide what to do with my land in Caledon Penzance (Connolly Aerodrome) and my Royal Caledon Air Force group, with more changes to follow.

********************************************************************

What about you? How do you feel about your main avatar vs your alt(s)?

Do alts have more fun?

12 comments:

Rhianon Jameson said...

Well, sometimes.

But remember who's boss - delegate all that dull stuff to your alt and be free of the drudgery!

Vic said...

Well, i have my main account (Victor1st) which is actually the alt, the main account is Victor Burns which is now nothing more than a land holding alt.

So yeah...for me, the alt had more fun, and is now more well known than the original.

Edward Pearse said...

My alts have mostly been created with a particular RP in mind before they started. One has transcended that and moved on to other things. Two are still doing what they were created for. Another, who was created purely to go through a men's treasure hunt, is still coalescing - though he seems to spend a lot of time as a drow.
The last, and ironically my first alt, hardly gets used any more.

Harper Ganesvoort said...

Simple for me; I have an alt, but I log in to it maybe once a year at the best. For my second life, Harper is me, and I am Harper.

Mahala Roviana said...

My alt does all the things that Mahala would never do *wink*

Charlanna Beresford said...

It is your Second Life (or third or fourth or...) and you should do with it what you enjoy. My alt doesn't get out much and can sometimes be a very quiet experience and sometimes not. :)

Eladrienne Laval said...

I had that same problem too Zoe. Elle has become the SL breadwinner and bank, and I often find myself escaping to my alts to breathe.

I LOVE being my 2nd alt, but she has become very popular and well-known unto herself--something that really surprised me.

Like Edward, I rarely use my 1st alt anymore except for groups and "storage"/back up.

Anna Darwinian said...

A few months after creating Anna, when she was still rather shyly feeling her way around Caledon, spending most of her spare time in the Oxbridge newbie portal helping the newbies slightly newer than she was, the typist decided to try out the faery gateway into SL with a new avatar. "Acorn" thereby discovered the RP of puzzle-solving and dragon-fighting in Avalon, and Anna went almost unplayed for a couple of months. Then Anna acquired a huge store she had to fill up and playing Anna was fun again. Now it is Acorn sleeping away in the toybox.

Shinigami Kayo said...

My alt exists for two reasons. 1) I need to escape and concentrate on my SL work, undisturbed, and 2) I need a dance partner and not the drama of someone thinking one dance doth a relationship make.

Kanomi said...

Happened to me too...Believe it or not, Kanomi was originally the alt!

But Kanomi so completely outshone her anonymous forerunner in popularity and friends and generally having a good time, let alone having a blog, that the original retired long ago.

:o

Dale Innis said...

A great and thought-provoking post!

I've got just two alts: one completely secret one for when I really need to build or script without any distractions, and one very vanilla and businesslike one for when I'm giving SL demos with other people looking at my viewer screen. They both have their own personalities, but to only a minor extent.

I think part of the reason I haven't felt the need for more social alts is that Dale's avoided any kind of responsibility or planned life. I get enough of that in RL. :)

(And if *any* of the Z girls ever need a companion for a night out on the town to get away from the stresses of responsibility, I'm there for ya!)

HeadBurro Antfarm said...

I do have an alt, Ryne Beck, that I created for rp - but it was such a ballache logging in as him and never finding any good RPs that I just gave up. I just do everything as HBA and create the other characters I need on top of him.

Having said that, I do sometime feel the need to make a new av to fullfil a stroy idea pinging about my head... maybe I will...