Thursday, December 16, 2010

Royal Caledon Air Force Bake Sale?

A suggestion from Samantha Poindexter...

Hi, everyone. I know my involvement with the RCAF has been minimal at best, but I'm a fan of the group, and of the aerodrome, which is one of my favorite places on the grid.

So. Stupid question...

Caledon sometimes seems to be the land of a thousand fundraisers. When the Cavorite Mines were on the verge of closing down, the Caledon Games were born, raising money for their continuance. I personally don't care for the mines at all, being claustrophobic, but I still took part in a couple of the events, picking up a bronze medal along the way.

As far as I can tell, the RCAF's fundraising so far has pretty much been confined to the members of the RCAF themselves. (And visitors who notice the donation balloon.) Why have we never had a bake sale, as it were?

Perhaps an air show would be a possibility, open to Caledon at large, with appeals for donations made at some point? Perhaps some other events? I will admit that I have missed most of the RCAF's major activities, such as the repulsion of the attack on Steam SkyCity, but I wonder whether anybody ever passed the virtual hat during that event? And if not, couldn't we have, to support Caledon's defenses?

For my part, I'd be willing to host a monthly trivia game with all tips going toward the rent, such as could be promoted both inside and outside Caledon. (I created http://tinyurl.com/sltrivia , and have connections in that community.) Or maybe yet another regular dance party...

Anyway. Possibly all this has been considered and rejected, possibly it's all a pipe dream, but I figure I needed to at least ASK.

Sincerely,

Samantha Poindexter
Chaplain, Royal Caledon Air Force

No comments: