Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Two Doctors

Doctor Cinnamon Somerset entered the market square satisfied with her recent find of electrical parts. Now it was time to look for a few items for her apartment. It was nice to take a break from her research, even if it was only for an hour here or there.


Doctor Somerset was sure she was close to duplicating her husband's experiment.

It had taken her a solid month to reach this point. Perhaps another month would be enough time to proceed. She was not as desperate as when she started re-building the machine, but she never lost her sense of urgency.

She looked at the cart before her and was about to pick up a box to inspect it, when out of the corner of her eye she saw movement.

Somerset turned her head and spied a white-haired woman dressed very strangely. Certainly dressed inappropriately for Victorian New Babbage.

"What on Earth!" she thought to herself. As soon as that question crossed her mind, the woman spoke.

"Doctor Somerset, I presume."

The stranger smiled and slowly approached her. Something about this women was not quite right. Cinnamon fought the urge to step back, but not wanting to appear rude she stood her ground.

"How does she know my name?" she thought.


"I'm afraid you have me at a disadvantage, Miss. You know my name but I do not know yours."


The stranger exhaled cigar smoke and looked her over for a moment. She gave Cinnamon a mischievous smile that reminded her of Lewis Carroll's Cheshire Cat.

"Allow me to introduce myself... I'm Doctor Zoetrope Dreamscape."

No comments: