Friday, June 19, 2009

Pop Culture Influences on the Character of Zoe Connolly - Lara Croft

In previous posts I've mentioned fictional influences for the character of Zoe Connolly in Part 1, Part 2, and Pop Culture Influences like The Avengers.

In this post I feature another Pop Culture icon. The first major Virtual Girl with Guns Lara Croft, with bonus views of Angelina Jolie as Lara....

Lara may be a very attractive action heroine, but her most important quality to me is her personality. Here's a quote from Wikipedia on Lara Croft:
"....Lara is consistently depicted as a highly confident, independent, and headstrong person. She is also very brave, rarely showing any sign of fear in very dangerous or lethal situations...."
Her virtual action heroine lineage may be traced back to Honor Blackman and Diana Rigg from The Avengers.





Below is an interesting documentary from the Discovery Channel via Google Video about the origins, game design, obsessions, and world wide media phenomenon of Lara Croft. I noted many parallels between Lara Croft Game obsession and obsessive behavior over Second Life.

Question for Second Life residents: Is your time and energy in SL replacing what you could and should be doing in RL?







Disclaimer: Although I've enjoyed the Lara Croft movies I've never played nor do I have an interest in a Lara Croft game. Before Second Life, the most gaming I ever did involved The Sims and various versions of Monopoly and Poker. Although I continue to indulge in the virtual world of Second Life and have added a new habit with flight simulators, Lara Croft Games are not on my radar. But there's no denying the Lara influence on some of my thinking. For me, she is the modern-day Emma Peel.

What are your influences and how do they manifest in the virtual world of Second Life?

Look for more "State Your Influence" posts on Monday June 22nd.

2 comments:

Karl Reisman said...

Question for Second Life residents: Is your time and energy in SL replacing what you could and should be doing in RL?


Of course it is, but then I make money inSL so it's just a matter of extendingmy workhours longer and longer, Yeah that's my excuse.

--Karl

Keith said...

I've never played any of the Tomb Raider games. I did enjoy the movies.