Thursday, February 7, 2008

"How Dare She!"

"How Dare She!"

A note to the detractors of my aerodrome and Royal Caledon Air Force...

First and foremost. I love Caledon and I love Victorian Steampunk.

My Second Life Group "Royal Caledon Air Force" was created as a military branch within Caledon to coincide with the opening of Connolly Aerodrome in Caledon Penzance in October 2007. RCAF and Connolly Aerodrome were created after consultation with - and the blessing of - Guvnah Desmond Shang (sim owner).

My definition of what is steampunk may be more liberal than your own, but I would certainly not say anything publicly against you or your opinion. We are not debating grand issues of our times. Let us agree to disagree and be done with it. Caledon is certainly big enough to encompass both our visions and RCAF is not a template you must follow.

RCAF is a military branch within Caledon. There are other military groups here if one so chooses and some citizens are in several of them. We are NOT a maritime group although some of us may fly seaplanes or sail our ships with the RCAF Ensign. We have NO INTEREST in competing with ANY maritime military group and encourage all our maritime sister organizations. I am always open to joint exercises with any other interested parties.

Another point I must repeat: Though it may appear so at times on the surface, we at Royal Caledon Air Force are NOT WW1 re-enactors! Officers of the RCAF may fly many assorted flying machines. For instance: My preferred means of flight is Group Captain August Breed's 1909 Bleriot and 1912 Blackburn. Both are pre-WW1 monoplanes and I think quite smashing builds! I do fly other craft but these two are my favorites. I have fun flying them and will continue to do so.

A few may see a surface resemblance to a WW1 group and have visions of the horrific trench warfare that occurred so much in that war.

Here's what I see...I see a Caledon group that loves to fly planes in a friendly and fun setting. What I promote within RCAF is individual achievement, group fun in a Caledon military branch, and a place for people to chat about flying and collaborate with each other on building projects related to flying machines.

When I think of RCAF, I do not see trench warfare, I see role-models from across RealLife history...

The Wright Brothers
The Lafayette Escadrille
Eugene Bullard
Bessie Coleman
Maude Rose "Lores" Bonney
Amelia Earhart
Chuck Yeager
Scott Crossfield
Alan Shepard
John Glenn
Armstrong and Aldrin
....And so many more!


I support anyone in my group having fun flying, creating, and I'm supportive of all of us building a community together. We're just one of a great many within Caledon.

Desmond Shang is my role-model for how I approach my group. People approach me with ideas and designs and for the most part I say "Ooooo" "That's awesome, let's do it!" or "When can that be ready for the group?" Seldom do I say No and I gently prod people away from using planes that are far beyond the WW1 era. I admit that sometimes running the RCAF is like herding cats, but I would not trade it for anything. What has happened within RCAF is more than I ever dreamed. It's one of the most dynamic, fun, and creative groups I've ever had the pleasure to be involved in within Second Life -- whether as an owner or member!

Let me now formally announce that both RCAF and Connolly Aerodrome in Caledon Penzance are here to stay!

7 comments:

R. said...

For all the arguments over what century is appropriate for extrapolation from, I'll take the high ground and remain firmly planted in the 15th and 16th Centuries.

I, for one, will continue to fly my DaVinci helicopter on the rare occasions I get out to the dogfights.

And, for its lack of weaponry, continue to get shot down repeatedly.

Lt. "Drag" Mariner

PS: If anybody has a problem with the whole "DaVinci never designed windup robot people to fly those goofy helicopter things" I'd like to point out that you never see the windup key in the back of the Vitruvian Man.

Caterin Semyorka said...

I salute you Air Marshall!

/|..|\ said...

Rawwwrrr! I hear you and sound of those engines now, Miss Connolly! Go get 'em, girl! Yeah, oh yeah!

Anonymous said...

Yay!

YAY!!!


YAY!!!!

Hooo!

You're one of my SL role models, Miss Connolly! Thank you!

xxoo
Sumie

Skusting Dagger said...

Ah! So that was you I saw in the skies the other day! Aye, I tried to keep off to the side in my pedal zep and only got shot at once! Should anybody find a teapot with a bullet hole at the bottom of Middlesea, it is mine. No need to return it, just melt it down and make more bullets!

Keep 'em airborne, Commander Connolly! Good to hear it!

Eladrienne Laval said...

I have always seen the Aerodrome as a great location to take off from and the RCAF as its resident group of "crazies". The wonderful thing is that inventors and aircraft creators have been inspired to make things for us to fly and the Aerodrome brings folks from elsewhere on the grid. It's a wonderful attraction for ALL of us, not just Caledonians and those of us in the 19th c., and I'm glad you reconsidered Zoe...

Géd said...

Zoe you took the best decision!

How can I be enlisted, at least first in the flying school before integrating the RCAF?

I must be trained, otherwise I would be a real calamity in your team...